Knowing that your computer’s valuable information is safe will help give you peace of mind. Use these 5 tips to learn ways you can help protect the information stored on your computer.
Work with your IT Department
Be sure to install new program or software updates that are recommended. Making these regular installations will keep your computer and your company’s network as secure as possible.
Use Strong Passwords
Be sure to use passwords that are strong in order to prevent hackers from stealing the data on your computer. When creating a password, make sure it:
• Is at least eight characters long.
• Does not contain your user name, real name, or company name.
• Does not contain a complete dictionary word.
• Is significantly different from previous passwords. Passwords that change just slightly—such as Password1, Password2, Password3—are not strong.
Do Not Allow Your Computer to Save Passwords
Allowing the password to be saved negates having the password at all.
Use Network File-Sharing Instead of Local File-Sharing
Lock-up Your Computer When You Leave Your Desk
In order to lock your computer, follow these steps:
- On your keyboard, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE at the same time.
- Click Lock this computer (Lock Computer if you’re running Windows XP).
- To unlock your computer, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and enter your password.
If you need help with any of the above, MJM Network & Van Nuys Tech Computer Repair is just a phone call away!
We will be glad to help! We have Drop off, Onsite, & Remote Services available to help you!
Just give us a call to set one up 1 (800) 963-9151